Here is my recipe for some very tasty filled bread rolls. They are one of my favourite things to show people how to make. Bread can be a little scary, but honestly, they are dead easy and just take a little time. Bake them in tulip or large muffin cases.
So what are they? A fragrant sweet smoked paprika flavoured bread dough is rolled out and filled with Spanish Serrano ham, Manchego cheese, roasted red pepper strips and chopped green olives. It is then rolled and cut into slices and baked in tulip muffin cases for 25 minutes. Each one is finished with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
These are a perfect accompaniment with a starter, a lunchtime snack or great to have on hand when friends pop over for drinks. Can be eaten hot or cold.
For the bread dough:
- 500g strong white flour
- 320ml warm water
- 10g fine salt
- 10g fast action yeast
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
For the filling:
- 100g thinly sliced Spanish Serrano ham
- 130g roasted red pepper cut into 1cm wide strips (the type that comes ready to use in a jar in oil or brine)
- 160g pitted green olives coarsely chopped
- 100g Spanish Manchego cheese cut into fine 3mm strips
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive oil for drizzling
- Rice flour for sprinkling on worktop to roll out dough
- Make the bread dough first. Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and 3/4 of the water. Start to bring the mixture together with your hands or a dough hook. Add more water as required until all the dry ingredients are absorbed. You may not need all the water.
- You don’t want a dough that’s too wet. Knead for around 8 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with cling film. Leave to prove for one hour or overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 200c fan.
- When the dough is proved tip it out on a well-floured surface (use rice flour to prevent sticking) and knock it back slightly.
- Using a rolling pin roll out the dough to a rectangle approx 60cm x 25cm.
- Tear the Serrano ham into strips and place on the dough in 2 stripes on the dough.
- Place the red pepper strips onto the ham stripes followed by the Manchego cheese.
- Sprinkle the chopped olives evenly all over the dough followed by a sprinkle of black pepper.
- Starting along one long edge roll the dough into a giant Swiss roll.
- Cut the roll into 12 rounds and place each one with into a tulip muffin case with the spiral visible.
- Prove for about 50 minutes until puffed up.
- Place in the centre of the preheated oven for around 20 – 25 minutes until golden.
- Drizzle each muffin lightly with extra virgin olive oil.